Updated: 3 days ago
MAH - Simple and quick make ahead meal for the busy weeknight or when you walk in the door at 5p.
Servings: 4 Cooking Time: 45 mins (15 mins active)
1 deep dish pie crust
1 lb ground beef
1 package taco seasoning
1/3 cup water
1 can refried beans
1 jar of taco sauce, divided usage
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
12 tortillas chips, crushed
shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, avocado, pico from Trader Joe’s
1. Precook the pie crust. Preheat oven to 400°. While oven is preheating, take pie crust out of freezer and let it thaw for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, prick bottom and sides of the pie crust thoroughly with a fork. Bake pie shell on a baking sheet for 10 minutes. Then, remove from oven and reduce the temperature to 350°.
2. Make the taco meat. In a skillet, cook ground beef until meat is browned; drain excess fat. Add taco seasoning and 1/3 cup of water to meat mixture and cook a few more minutes on medium-low heat until combined.
3. Refried beans mixture. In a small bowl, whisk together the refried beans and 1/3 cup taco sauce. Warm in the microwave for 30 seconds to make it easier to stir.
4. Assemble the taco pie. To assemble the taco pie, begin by spreading on half of the refried bean mixture. Next, top with half of the seasoned beef mixture. Then a handful of the tortilla chips crumbling in your hands as you add them. Next, add 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese. Repeat layers.
5. Bake. Bake taco pie on the baking sheet for 25-30 minutes. To enjoy, top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes and additional taco sauce to taste, pico from Trader Joe’s, avocado and sour cream to name a few.
Cooking notes from Julie:
Freeze Option: Make 2 taco pies and freeze one. To freeze, do NOT bake it. Cover with foil after assembly and put it in the freezer for up to 2 months. To prepare: Take it out of the freezer the night before and let it unthaw overnight in the fridge. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and taco pie is warm in the center.