5-Ingredient Sausage Curry Bowl
Updated: Dec 16, 2020
Servings: 4 Cook + Prep Time: 35 mins
· 1 lb ground sausage, browned
· 2 bags pre-cut butternut squash
· 2 apples (honeycrisp preferred), chopped into bite size pieces
· ½ box shell pasta, prepared to package directions
· 2 tsp curry powder
· spinach (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. In a medium size bowl, toss the butternut squash with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread in an even layer on a foil lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Bake 25-30 mins until fork tender.
2. Meanwhile, boil water and prepare shell pasta according to package directions until just under al dente (will finish cooking in step 5).
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and crumble the sausage until cooked through. Drain off any access fat. Set sausage aside.
4. In the same large skillet, cook cut up apple until fork tender, 7-10 minutes.
5. To the large skillet, add the sausage, butternut squash and pasta. Add 4 tbsp of water to skillet and salt & pepper. Stir to combine.
At this step, I take a few scoops out for my little girls before finishing the dinner for the adults.
6. Finally, add 1-2 tsp of curry powder. Stir thoroughly to combine and add a little more water if necessary. Allow dish to simmer for 5 minutes to develop the flavors.
1 tsp of curry powder will give you a slight curry flavor and 2 tsp will give you quite a strong curry flavor so season to your liking.
Speed it up!
I often brown the sausage and cook the pasta (just under al dente) the night before while I'm already in the kitchen preparing dinner the night before. This just leaves the only "work" for making this dinner to putting squash in the oven, cutting an apple, throwing everything in the pan and stirring to combine.