Simple Fish Tacos
I love fish tacos but don’t like to work very hard in the kitchen. Shredded cabbage in the bag speeds this up, to make a delicious and satisfying lime crema slaw for the tacos. This can feed 2 or as many as you want. For more guests, double or triple the recipe.
Servings: 2- you pick Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 10 mins
· Cod, crappie or perch filets (as many as you want)
· 1 ½ cups flour
· 1 tsp Chili Lime seasoning (Trader Joe’s) or paprika
· salt & pepper
· ½ cup of milk
· 1 tbsp butter
· 1 tbsp olive oil
· 1 package corn tortillas
Lime Crema Slaw mix:
· 1 bag shredded cabbage mix
· 1/3 cup sour cream
· juice of half a lime (or more to taste)
1. In a medium mixing bowl, stir to combine the sour cream and lime juice until smooth. Add the bag of shredded cabbage and mix until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge while you make the fish. The cabbage will soften by the time dinner is ready.
To make the fish filets….
2. Set up your dredging station. In one bowl, pour in the milk. In a second bowl, combine the flour, paprika or Chili Lime seasoning, salt & pepper.
3. Place one filet in the milk, coating both side, and then place it in the flour mixture. Use a spoon to spoon flour mixture on the fish and use your fingers to really press the flour into the fish.
4. In a large frying pan, melt the tbsp. of butter with the olive oil. Place filets in the frying pan and fry 4-6 mins per side depending on the thickness of the fish. The fish should be opaque and flake easily when it is finished.
Continue frying the fish in batches. Add additional butter and olive oil to the pan as needed.
5. In another large frying pan on medium heat, warm the flour tortillas on both sides. Once warm, place tortillas on a plate covered with tinfoil (to keep them warm) and continue working in batches until the tortillas are all warmed.
Place a fish on a corn tortilla and add a generous portion of the slaw mix.