Easy Alfredo Sauce
Updated: Jan 31, 2021
Easy, healthy (healthier than the jar anyway) alfredo sauce that pleases all ages.
3 tablespoons of butter
3 tablespoons of flour
1 tsp mined garlic (from the jar) or 1-2 garlic gloves
1 1/2 cups of milk or ½ and ½ or a combination of both (whatever’s in the fridge!)
1 cup of parmesan cheese
2 cups reserved water from boiling the pasta
salt and pepper
splash of heavy cream is nice if you have it, otherwise a few tablespoons or cream cheese will do
1. In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
2. Next, sprinkle the flour into the melted butter. Using a wire whisk, stir the mixture for 1-2 minutes allowing the “flour flavor” to cook out. Add in 1 tsp of mined garlic.
3. Gradually add the milk to the butter/flour mixture and continue to whisk. The mixture will slowly thicken. Whisk periodically until it’s thick. Once it has thickened, add the parmesan cheese and now it will be really thick.
4. Using 1-2 cups of the pasta water, slowly whisk in some of the water until the sauce thins to desired consistency.
Sprinkle in a little salt and pepper.
To make Chicken Broccoli Alfredo:
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cut broccoli into florets and blanch for 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon or a small strainer to fish out the broccoli.
2. Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions.
3. Pull apart a rotisserie chicken and cut into small pieces.
4. Once sauce is done, add all ingredients together in a large bowl.
To make Shrimp Broccoli Alfredo:
Same as above except cook shrimp until opaque in a non-stick pan and remove with a slotted spoon. Pour off any access juice from the shrimp and then make sauce in the same pan. Fewer dishes :)